Layers of veggies in a tasty cheese sauce make this a perfect late summer side dish to pair with pretty much anything. And as a bonus it’s super easy to make!
This is a recipe I grew up eating with veggies fresh from our home garden. My mom always called this ‘Zucchini Side Dish’ but I decided to label it ‘Zucchini Stacks’ because I think it’s a little better description what your dish will look like.
- 1 medium green zucchini, sliced in thin rounds (about 1/4″ thick)
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced in thin rounds (about 1/4″ thick)
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced in rings
- 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- About 9 slices of American or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 8 x 8 glass baking dish.
- Fill the bottom with zucchini slices (use the bigger slices for the bottom). Usually about 9 slices, but it depends on the size of your zucchini.
- Add an onion slice, then a tomato slice and then a green pepper ring on top of each zucchini slice.
- Sprinkle with garlic, basil & flour.
- Place 1/2 a slice of cheese on each stack.
- Add a second layer of veggies: zucchini, onion, tomato, pepper & then a second 1/2 slice of cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until veggies are fork tender and cheese is golden brown.
- Serve your stacks & enjoy!
As it cooks, the juices from the vegetables combine with the flour, spices and melted cheese to make the tasty sauce.
What main dish will you pair it with?